Visit Brett's personal travel blog for his adventures at http://theplacesivebeen.blogspot.com Curious about our past life in Togo, West Africa? visit http://emersonstogo.blogspot.com

Saturday, January 03, 2009

Baking Firsts

I've had two "firsts" in the last few weeks that I am quite proud of. So many of you ask about our daily life that I'd thought I'd share some of the exciting parts...at least exciting to me.


Having two little boys in the house, we don't have many "girly" things around and definitely no pink. So when I had the opportunity to make a Barbie cake for a friend of ours, I couldn't think of a better color for frosting than PINK. Let me tell you, my kitchen has never seen so much pink! I wasn't sure how it was going to go....but it was actually a lot easier than I thought. I enjoyed it and Sydney was quite excited to see her Barbie cake.
We had a group of 17 adults and 19 children to serve cake to and I knew the Barbie cake wasn't going to cut it. I had plenty of pink icing, so the cupcakes received the same flower shapes of frosting as the Barbie did. I told you it was a lot of pink!
The other thing I did for the first time was bake bread. I have lived here for 2 years and always let my houseworker make my bread for us. I figured, in the States, I would just buy it from the store so it's not really different if I don't make it myself. Well, recently, we've stopped liking the flavor of her recipe so I got ambitious and attempted to make homemade white bread myself.

The loaves turned out great! Brett couldn't stop talking about how good it was. When I asked Caden what he thought, he said, "it good, Momma" and then proceeded to ask for more bread all day.

Before moving to Africa I always wanted to enjoy cooking but couldn't bring myself to make anything that required too many ingredients or too much effort. Living here and not having convienences has required me to get in the kitchen and just try things. I now LOVE to cook and have become very interested in cookbooks and new recipes. I actually wish I had more time in the kitchen by myself to just cook. Nearly all my cooking requires me to make a lot of extra ingredients...true "scratch" cooking. But I love the feeling when someone compliments my cooking and I know that I made that dish myself. It's funny to me that after a few months of living here I would tell people that the cooking was the hardest thing for me to adjust to...now it's one of my favorites.

10 comments:

Holly Aytes said...

The cake looks very good! And that bread made me want to bake some of my own. Wish I was as ambitious as you, however I will just be getting out my bread machine, that is as close to homemade as I get :) The bread looks super yummy :)

Anonymous said...

Betcha Sydney (and her sisters) were in PINK HEAVEN! Good job, Mama!
hugs, Joy

Becky Reeves said...

Beautiful, April! You really have come into your own as a cook and I'm so proud of you and your bread making! I love the challenge and creative side of cooking too. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Wow April!! I am so proud of you!! You did a Great job on the cake and the bread! The bread made my mouth water. =-) The cake reminded me of the cakes I use to decorate for you and Allen when you were little. You may not remember it, but I have a few pictures- somewhere. =-) I was telling GrannyDot this week about what a great cook you have become and that others noticed it as well. =-)
Keep up the great work, we love you!
Mamma and Daddy

Miss G said...

Yea! Isn't it fun to make things yourself. I'm so glad you had fun with it and that you shared it with us! My husband cooked for me today which was really nice but when I cook for him and he compliments me . . . there's just nothing like it. Kelly

Tammie's Thoughts said...

Way to go, girl! You know I made homemade bread all while Tim was in dental school, but I stopped as soon as he got out...and I stopped cooking for good when I went back to school....you almost inspire me to start again!

Joshua and Julie Marcum said...

Good job April! I'm impressed - and I completely agree with the cooking aspect - I love it too - and you definitely have more motivation to cook and try new things when the frozen food aisle is not so readily available.!

Deborah said...

Way to go, girl! The cake and the bread look wonderful!!

Leslie said...

Wow..that cake is impressive. Mmmm...now I want some homemade bread

Anonymous said...

Your cake looks so good. Looks like you enjoyed using the pink. Tina Clark