Visit Brett's personal travel blog for his adventures at http://theplacesivebeen.blogspot.com Curious about our past life in Togo, West Africa? visit http://emersonstogo.blogspot.com

Sunday, November 04, 2007

35 weeks

So here I am at 35 weeks and five days. My countdown says I have only 30 days until my due date....I remember saying that with Caden and he was born 2 weeks later, so we'll see. I also thought I'd take this post to tell you about our doctor here in Accra, Ghana.

His name is Dr. Hiadzi, and although I can never remember how to pronounce it, I am so excited to know he is my doctor. There were several things that really impressed me about him and scored some big points in this mommy's book.
  • He has little accent making him very easy to understand. (Most of the time I have to ask Ghanaians repeat themselves before I get it.)
  • He understood me every time I spoke...we're talking my normal voice, no fake-Ghanaian accent.
  • He showed genuine interest in Caden (big points for that one!)
  • He answered all of our questions without hesitation.
  • His confidence in the baby-world showed in the questions he asked and the comments he made.
  • He thought it was ridiculous that someone would tell us what gender our baby was if they didn't know for sure (which happened to us twice in this pregnancy).
  • He knew our baby was a boy with the first glance.
  • He graciously explained to me how the "folds" would look different if it were a girl.
  • He joked around with us when we asked for a photo of the baby's boy parts.
  • He offered me his hand to sit up after he was finished wiping the ultrasound gel off. At 35 weeks pregnant, you can imagine what a welcomed gesture this was.
  • He took my talk of contractions seriously and put me on a fetal monitor for half an hour.
This man is answer to much prayer. We will be seeing him every Wednesday until the day of delivery. Also, I'm not sure if we've officially announced our baby boy's name.
Corban Stewart Emerson
Corban is found in Mark 7:11 meaning "a gift dedicated to God" and Stewart was chosen to honor my grandparents, Bill & Dot Stewart.



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look great! What a blessing this new doc is for you guys. I'm lovin' the name Corban. All four of you are in our prayers!
Love you, Julie

Tammie's Thoughts said...

I am so excitd for you...even though secretly I was hoping that Caden would have a little sister but he'll enjoy a little brother, too and he'll be a great big brother no matter! You do look great and I'm glad you found a great doctor! Love you all!

Daisha said...

I love the name and the importance behind it.

-Daisha

Kelli said...

great name!! :) i wish you the best for the rest of your pregnancy and delivery!

Stephanie said...

I'm so glad you like your new doctor and I love the name! I think you're going to be early - it looks like you've dropped! Or are you carrying low?

Anonymous said...

I think you have dropped a little,too.
We are thrilled with the name and it's meaning. GrannyDot and GrandDaddy were brought to tears when they heard the name, they feel so blessed and honored by your gesture.
We love you and are thankful that all has gone well in Accra!
Mom and Dad Gillespie

Kirsten Alana said...

LOVE the new name!! And very glad you have found a doctor you can trust and put your confidence in. What an answer to prayer :-)

Jessicca said...

Love the name. You two have a knack for good boy names ;). Oh, and you look great Prel! Way to keep that baby inside.